The lesson plan should consist of points below:
4. Standard Competence
*For example: Expressing the meaning in short functional texts and short monologues/essays of narratives, explanations, and discussions accurately, fluently, and appropriately in daily life contexts.
5. Basic Competence
*For example: Expressing ideas/messages in short functional texts in the form of written text accurately, fluently, and appropriately in daily life contexts.
7. Time Allotment : 2 x 40 minutes
A. Learning Objectives
*For example: 1. Given a topic, students are able to write a personal letter.
2. Given a personal letter, students are able to respond/reply the letter given.
3. Given a draft of personal letter, students are able to identify the mistakes of the
grammatical and mechanic feature being used.
B. Learning Materials
*For example: 1. Students’ handout
2. English Textbook
C. Learning Method/Techniques:
*For example: 1. PPP (Presentation, Practice, Produce)
D. Learning Steps/Procedures :
*For example: - Teacher greets the students.
- The students are asked some questions to review the previous lesson.
- The students are showed an envelope and a letter then are asked whether they have sent or received letters.
*For example: - The teacher explains the features of the letter, the important points on personal letters, and the difference of formal and informal letter.
- The students are asked to take out the sample of personal letter they have brought (it has been asked by the teacher to find a sample of personal letter over the Internet).
- The students are asked to recognize the things have been explained by the teacher and are asked to distinguish the kind of letter they bring.
- The teacher passes out samples of letters with some mistake of the grammatical and the mechanical feature in it.
- The students are asked to discuss the mistake in groups and then discuss it together as whole class.
- The students are given task to write a personal letter where the formal or the informal is decided by their attendant number; the students with odd numbers are asked to write the formal letter, the students with even numbers are asked to write informal letter. The students may choose one of topics given.
- The students are asked to exchange the letter with their partners who have been decided by the teacher.
*For example: - The students are asked to write the respond of their partner’s letter and find the material about memos and messages which will be discussed on the next meeting.
E. Learning Source, Media :
*For example: – English textbook, Contextual English 3 for Grade XII of Senior High Schools Physical Sciences and Social Sciences Majors by Bambang Sugeng and Noor Zaimah
- Littlejohn, Andrew. 2005. Writing 3: Student’s Book. England: Cambridge University Press.
- Littlejohn, Andrew. 2005. Writing 4: Student’s Book. England: Cambridge University Press.
- Naunton, Jon. 2005. Think Ahead to First Certificate. BBC Enterprise Ltd.
- Evaluation Technique : *For example: Essay Construction Task
- Instrument Form : *For example: Written Task
- Instrument Items : *For example: LP1 and LP2 (See on Appendix)
You may use Picture-Cued as your technique (click on this) or Jigsaw technique (click on this). For having a rest, you may give your students some videos as I give below (click on this and this) while they can practice their English together with watching activity.